Friday, October 17, 2008

Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City

Wow I'm way behind, so I'll start with Co Springs...

We were on post, Fort Carson, an Army post. We were there supporting the army families, and the CI was all Stand for Peace in the schools on post. The show went really well, and on Sunday I got to go to the New Life Church, which has an awesome praise and worship service. If you're ever in Co Springs I definitely recommend going to check it out.

We went from CS to Salt Lake City, Utah. When we got here it was really cold, it had snowed the day before! but as the week progressed it has gotten warmer. We got to visit Temple Square (the headquarters of the Jesus Christ Church of Latter Day Saints or Mormons) on Tuesday. It was really interesting to learn more about their faith. On Wednesday I had school project, and did Stand for Peace in three classes in one day, which was really exhausting. Also Wednesday was the Religion workshop, which I helped lead, we focused on the similarities instead of the differences in religion, and brainstormed on how all religions could coexist. On Thursday I was on promotions, which isn't my favorite, but was ok. Thursday night I went to a "Unity Feast" with my host mom, who is Baha'i. Baha'i is a really new religion, only 150 years old and believes in the unity of all religions, its a really interesting religion, and if you don't know about it you should check it out, their beliefs are very unique. Today I was working at the YWCA, cleaning the walls of the apartments there and playing with the children of the women who were there to escape domestic violence. It was really fun and I'm extremely glad that we have programs like that, even as sad as it is that we need them. Tomorrow is show day, and we're performing at Murray HS, where HSM(High School Musical) was filmed and the school that David Archuleta(runner up American Idol) went to school. I'm loving the cold and can't wait to see what exciting things will happen next.

On a more somber note, two months from today I will be home and done with UWP. Can you believe that? I know I can't, only two more months left before I return to the real world(UWP doesn't exactly seem like the real world). So yeah, I'll update soon, and before we all know it I'll be home...

2 comments:

Nana said...

So glad you're having all these opportunities! The game today was a nail biter to the very end. When each team scored, they were ahead until the other team scored. Georgia Southern had the ball in the last less than 2 minutes of the game, but ASU intercepted a pass on 3rd down and the game was over with less than 40 seconds remaining - BY ONE POINT!!! I love you! Nana

Nana said...

ASU 26 FURMAN 14
Coach Jerry Moore's 200th WIN!
Next week's game is on Friday evening, Halloween and will be televised on ESPN2!
I love you!
Nana