Saturday, November 22, 2008

Manila

I’m now in Manila in the Philippines, and it is really different here. I’m hosted with Ilka from Germany in a small three-room apartment that has no flushing toilet and a bucket to shower with. We (Ilka and I) sleep in a small room, on the floor, and we share the room with the live-in maid. My host family is Muslim, and we are not allowed to show our shoulders while our host dad is home. Our host mom wears a jilbab when she leaves the house; even in 90+ degree weather she is swathed head to toe in fabric. Our apartment is in viewing distance of the Mall of Asia, and hopefully we’ll get the chance to go there sometime in the two and a half weeks that we’re here. I am really excited to be here, but I have to admit that I’m experiencing culture shock on a really high level. The family that we’re staying with is actually fairly wealthy compared to the people that I’m working with on my CI. I’m working in the slums with an organization that is trying to raise the quality of life, especially for future generations. They are especially focused on getting the students into school, by giving them scholarships for supplies, and on teaching family planning so that the families can support themselves.

No comments: